Geneseo Central School
Driver Education Program
State of New York Requirements:
The state requires a driver education class that runs through a public school to complete 24 hours of in-class instruction and 24 hours of in-car instruction with a minimum of 6 hours of behind the wheel training. At the conclusion of the course students will be issued an MV-285 certificate from the state. The MV-285 certificate also serves as the 5-hour pre-licensing course certificate (MV-278).
The link below has information as to why NYS uses a graduated licensing program for teens and regulates driver education instructors and curriculum.
Benefits of Driver Education:
- When students complete the course, they have a better handle of how to safely operate a vehicle on public roads.
- Students receive multiple hours of exposure to a state certified driving instructor.
- Students learn about and drive in situations that they might not have been exposed too.
- Allows parents to practice skills with their child after they are taught by an instructor.
- Most insurance companies give reductions in insurance rates if students’ take driver ed.
- New drivers can get their senior license when they are 17 (It’s 18 without driver ed).
- Last but not least, driver education is fun!!
The final cost is set by the school and is based on total enrollment. In the past, this has been as high as $430 per student. Full payment to the school is due prior to the first day of class.
2019 Dates and Times:
Class and drive times will start July 1st and go through at least August 2nd. Classes and drives will not take place on Wednesdays throughout the course. Please note that drive times may need to be added before July 1st and/or after August 2nd depending on the total number of students enrolled. Any missed classes/drives will need to be made-up. Students are only allowed to drive for 1.5 hours each day and attend class 1.5 hours each day.
Official sign ups will start Monday, April 8th. Student or parents can sign up by contacting Mrs. Mackey in the main office or Mr. Davidson directly.
Instructor - Mr. Davidson:
Mr. Davidson has been an Earth Science teacher at Geneseo High School for the past 10 years. He has a permanent New York State driver education certificate and has been teaching driver education with AAA of western NY and in Geneseo for the past 6 years.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Chris Davidson at firstname.lastname@example.org.