Geneseo Central School
Driver Education Program
State of New York Requirements:
The state requires a driver education class that runs through a public school to complete 24 hours of in-class instruction and 24 hours of in-car instruction with a minimum of 6 hours of behind the wheel training. At the conclusion of the course students will be issued an MV-285 certificate from the state. The MV-285 certificate also serves as the 5-hour pre-licensing course certificate (MV-278).
The link below has information as to why NYS uses a graduated licensing program for teens and regulates driver education instructors and curriculum.
Benefits of Driver Education:
- When students complete the course, they have a better handle of how to safely operate a vehicle on public roads.
- Students receive multiple hours of exposure to a state certified driving instructor.
- Students learn about and drive in situations that they might not have been exposed too.
- Allows parents to practice skills with their child after they are taught by an instructor.
- Most insurance companies give reductions in insurance rates if students’ take driver ed.
- New drivers can get their senior license when they are 17 (It’s 18 without driver ed).
- Last but not least, driver education is fun!!
2020 Dates and Times:
Tentative class and drive times will start Monday, June 29th and go through Thursday, August 6th. This may change based on the number of students enrolled but will not go past these dates. Any missed classes/drives will need to be made-up. Students are only allowed to drive for 1.5 hours each day and attend class 1.5 hours each day.
Students can only miss 2 classes and 2 drive times during this time. This includes vacations, camps, work, sick days, etc. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made. Make-up classes and drive times for the 2 missed are built into the schedule the first week in August.
Sign-ups and cost:
Official sign-ups will start Monday, April 20th for Geneseo CSD students. Students from other districts can sign up Monday, April 27th. Student or parents can sign up by contacting Mrs. Mackey in the high school main office (243-3450) or Mr. Davidson directly. The course is limited to 24 students at a maximum. Preference will be given to Geneseo students who sign up the week of April 20th.
The cost of the course is set by the district and is dependant on the total number of students enrolled. In the past, the payment has been as high as $440. Full payment must be received by Monday, June 22nd. A finalized payment set by the district will be communicated sometime in May and is not needed when you sign-up.
Instructor - Mr. Davidson:
Mr. Davidson has been an Earth Science teacher at Geneseo High School for the past 11 years. He has a permanent New York State driver education certificate and has been teaching driver education with AAA of western NY and in Geneseo for the past 7 years.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Chris Davidson at firstname.lastname@example.org.