Geneseo Central School
Driver Education Program
State of New York Requirements:
The state requires a driver education class that runs through a public school to complete 24 hours of in-class instruction and 24 hours of in-car instruction with a minimum of 6 hours of behind the wheel training. At the conclusion of the course students will be issued an MV-285 certificate from the state. The MV-285 certificate also serves as the 5-hour pre-licensing course certificate (MV-278).
The link below has information as to why NYS uses a graduated licensing program for teens and regulates driver education instructors and curriculum.
Benefits of Driver Education:
- When students complete the course, they have a better handle of how to safely operate a vehicle on public roads.
- Students receive multiple hours of exposure to a state certified driving instructor.
- Students learn about and drive in situations that they might not have been exposed too.
- Allows parents to practice skills with their child after they are taught by an instructor.
- Most insurance companies give reductions in insurance rates if students’ take driver ed.
- New drivers can get their senior license when they are 17 (It’s 18 without driver ed).
- Last but not least, driver education is fun!!
2018 Dates and Times:
Driver education will start Thursday July 5th and run every work day to Wednesday August 1st. Class will be held in the high school from 8 -9:30 am every day. The drive portion of the course will last 1.5 hours most days. Specific drive times will be determined at a later date. Attendance to all classes and drives is mandatory. There will be several make up classes/drives toward the end of the course based on need.
The cost will be $430 per student. This is the same amount as 2017. Full payment to the school is due prior to the first day of class on July 5th.
Official sign ups will start Monday, April 9th. Student or parents can sign up by contacting Mrs. Mackey in the main office or Mr. Davidson directly. Participants are limited to 24.
Instructor - Mr. Davidson:
Mr. Davidson has been an Earth Science teacher at Geneseo High School for the past 9 years. He has a permanent New York State driver education certificate and has been teaching driver education with AAA of western NY and in Geneseo for the past 5 years.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Chris Davidson at firstname.lastname@example.org.