GENESEO CENTRAL SCHOOL BOARD OF EDUCATION
(Standing, left to right) Catherine Bennett, Craig Phelps, Michael Tenalio and David Dwyer
(Sitting, left to right) Chris McDonald, Jennifer Mehlenbacher, and Julie Matthews
What is a Board of Education?
A school board member in New York State serves as a state official. The board's powers are derived from the state Constitution, laws of New York State, and rulings of the state Commissioner of Education.
As elected representatives, board members ensure that the school remains responsive to the needs of district residents by serving as a link between school and community. The Board of Education establishes official policy and sets goals for the school district. Board decisions can be made only by the board acting as a whole in a public meeting.
Board of Education Meeting Schedule
Meetings are held in the Thomas Preston MS/HS Media Center located at Geneseo Central Schools, 4050 Avon Road, Geneseo, NY.
For the 2018 - 2019 school year, the Board of Education will meet on the 1st and 3rd Monday's of each month, beginning at 7:00 p.m., unless otherwise noted.
*See below for a complete list of dates, times, and locations.
Board meetings are conducted under the Open Meetings Law, but are not open forums for the community. On the agenda, there is "Community Relations" time which the public may address the Board regarding agenda items or other comments or questions. You must sign in on the sheet provided at the meeting, if you would like to address the Board.
Board Member Terms
The Board is composed of seven community members who are elected to 3-year terms by District residents as part of the school budget vote, which occurs on the third Tuesday of May, each year.
- Jennifer Mehlenbacher, President - term expires 6/30/21
- David Dwyer, Vice-President - term expires 6/30/21
- Catherine Bennett - term expires 6/30/20
- Julie Matthews - term expires 6/30/20
- Chris McDonald - term expires 6/30/20
- Craig Phelps - term expires 6/30/19
- Michael Tenalio - term expires 6/30/19
Have a question?
Pamela Bickford is the District Clerk to the Board of Education and can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 585.243.3450 x. 2214.
Geneseo Central Schools Board of Education Meeting Schedule for 2018—2019
(Please check back regularly for any changes or updates to this listing.)
Location: Thomas Preston MS/HS Media Center (unless otherwise noted)
Time: 7:00 p.m.
- July 11, 2018 *Reorganization/Regular Meetings
- August 6, 2018
- August 20, 2018
- September 4, 2018 *Please note, this meeting date is on a Tuesday, due to the Labor Day holiday that falls on Monday, September 3rd.
- September 17, 2018
- October 1, 2018
- October 15, 2018
- November 5, 2018
- November 19, 2018
- December 3, 2018
- December 17, 2018
- January 7, 2019 *Please note, this meeting will be held in the Elementary School Media Center.
- January 22, 2019 *Please note, this meeting is a Tuesday, due to the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday that falls on Monday, January 21st. The Board of Education will meet at 5:00 p.m. with Kevin McDonald (District Superintendent), in the District Office.
- February 4, 2019
- March 4, 2019 - Cancelled
- March 5, 2019 - Rescheduled meeting: 7:00 p.m., in the MS/HS Media Center
- March 12, 2019 - Special Meeting: 5:00 p.m., in the District Office
* Please note: It is anticipated that the Board will move directly into Executive Session in order to review confidential applications of candidates for the position of Superintendent of Geneseo Central School District. Board Vice-President, David Dwyer, may be attending Executive Session via conference call.
- March 18, 2019
- April 1, 2019
- April 23, 2019 - Newly added meeting, however, the Board will meet with a limited agenda only, beginning at 5:00 p.m. in the MS/HS Media Center
- May 6, 2019 - Cancelled
- May 8, 2019 - Rescheduled meeting: The Budget Hearing begins at 6:30 p.m. and will be followed by a Regular Meeting at 7:00 p.m., in the MS/HS Media Center
- May 20, 2019
- May 21, 2019 *Budget Vote/Election (Held in the Auditorium/Cafeteria Foyer – Polls open at 6:00 a.m. and close at 9:00 p.m.)
- June 3, 2019
- June 17, 2019 - Cancelled
- June 18, 2019 - Rescheduled meeting: 7:00 p.m., in the MS/HS Media Center
2019 - 2020 School Year
Location: Thomas Preston MS/HS Media Center
- July 12, 2019 *Reorganization/Regular Meetings will begin at 8:30 a.m. and will be followed by the annual School Board/Administrative Team Retreat